Burnout is the physical and emotional exhaustion that comes from chronic stress. Different factors can contribute to burnout, from hectic schedules to an insufficient support system.
Sleep is also a key component in the burnout cycle. Research shows that poor sleep quality is associated with burnout — and the combination of burnout and poor sleep can impact overall functioning, especially at work¹,².
4 strategies for preventing burnout
- Identify your stressors – Figure out what’s causing you the most stress, so you can work on reducing it. Try journaling about your feelings, reviewing your calendar for insights, or opening up to a loved one.
- Schedule your sleep – Establishing a more consistent sleep schedule can lead to better sleep, and in turn, better overall well-being.
- Find a bedtime routine – Create a relaxing routine that sets you up for a successful sleep. Maybe that involves eliminating screen time.
- Get help – If you’re struggling, reach out to a mental health professional who can help get you on the right track.
Sleepio can help
If you need support with your sleep to prevent or overcome burnout, consider Sleepio. A customized online sleep improvement program, Sleepio provides evidence-based techniques to help quiet your mind and enhance your sleep quality. Sleepio is available to you at no cost. Visit www.sleepio.com/rcbp to get started.
- Hacimusalar et al. (2021). Med Lav
- van Dijk et al. (2020). PLoS One
Here’s how one woman improved her insomnia when she couldn’t access in-person therapy:
Before using Sleepio, I was very restless through the night, and at one point became accustomed to waking up at 3 a.m. every morning. Now, my sleeping is much more consistent, and I’m able to sleep more through the night.
Here’s how a working parent used sleep to boost his motivation:
In medical sales, you’re constantly hustling, and there would be days I would sit outside of the hospital in my car for 10 or 15 minutes, not wanting to go in. Now, I feel like Sleepio has helped me get out of my ‘funk’ and feel more driven.
Here’s how one woman with chronic insomnia established a consistent sleep schedule:
Sleepio gave me the tools I needed to establish a sleep schedule and maintain good sleep hygiene. Being able to log your sleep patterns — and receive feedback based on those patterns — was a huge help.
Lastly, here’s how a healthcare worker improved his sleep after an anxiety-inducing medical event:
One of the most helpful techniques I learned was how to reframe your thinking around sleep — previously, I would stay up at night thinking about everything that could potentially go wrong. Now, thanks to Sleepio, I have a designated time before bed to journal and release those negative thoughts so that they don’t impact my sleep.
Here’s how you can succeed at sleeping:
Sleepio is an online sleep improvement program personalized to your unique needs. Sleepio’s evidence-based techniques help you quiet your mind and reshape the behaviors that keep you up at night, so you can turn your sleep from a struggle into a success.
Sleepio is available to you at no cost.Get started now
DOC-1677 Effective 09/2022 Sleepio is available as an adjunct to usual medical care for insomnia disorder for adults ages 18 and older, without FDA review under their COVID-19 policy